Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Goals For The Shop in 2009

I would love to figure out what I could do to get my shop to get more sales. I think for 2009 I need to focus on making my shop a better one. I am lucky because I do have a pretty good following outside of etsy. It makes me sad I never get to share the compliments I receive from my outside sales because they have purchased locally. I have some women that order from me all of the time. I think a lot of them are not super comfortable using the computer to purchase items so they go through me personally and not etsy. My mom gets between 4 and 6 items a month from me for gifts. She is my best advertisement. I feel that the economy has a lot of people spending less for everything, including discretionary items, and that hurts my sales too.

I am very worried about the CSPIA and I think that this in turn will effect my shop. I will go back to making gifts for friends and their children and take all of the items out of my shop which means I will have a much smaller inventory. I am going to focus on more unique items. I am working with a friend to open another etsy store to sell patterns which I am super stoked about. I have a couple friends that draw and I think they would translate into great, different patterns.

I am also looking at running more shows. Once again the CSPIA puts a bit of a damper on that because I do not want to get sued for having people that sell items that need to be tested and it limits the vendors I can have at a show. I am hoping some of the people from HHB will join me for the spring show I'd like to have...

On a side note these are some of the item I made this weekend.


from Sublime Stitching, the fab Emily Martin pattern. I picked up a hankie from a vintage store that is closing and I made it for my purse. I love it!
I'm not "lion" shirt for my mom to give as a gift.


A bib for my mom to give as a gift too...

7 comments:

Made By Moms said...

Hey there!! I LOVE the lion and chicks -- those are adorable!

You know, I'm pretty sure the CPSIA doesn't apply to in-state sales... have you checked into this? I'm still planning on selling locally, it's the Etsy and Art Fire that I might have to pull (though I might alter them so I only target Floridians).

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a good following in Orlando, with a lot of repeat customers and goodwill. I always do well at shows... but online... I can't get *any* traction!

*sigh* I'm trying though (both in increasing exposure *and* in keeping a positive attitude about the CPSIA).

Take care and good luck in 09 :)

Jen

sewitsforyou said...

Jen
I am not sure about the in-state stuff. I didn't think that was the way it worked, I shall research it.

Thanks for checking out the new items.
I used to love in Orlando for 10 years I kind of miss it but not the traffic..

I think I may do trades too for kids stuff, I have tons of kids supplies and think trading could be a good thing..

Made By Moms said...

Ok, well, Etsy just opened up a forum for the CPSIA and what I've been reading has depressed me.

I was wrong, in-state sales are banned. In addition, TRADES and GIFTS are also banned (trafficking in "hazardous" materials... ARGH)!! I have five boxes of stuff that might become contraband in less than a month!! No :( :( :(.

In addition, thrift stores will be impacted because they'll be held responsible if they sell something that ends up being contaminated. They're not required to test, but they'll be liable. Libraries will have to test or destroy their books, as ordinary books must be tested.

Jeez... who was the whiz kid who wrote up this act? With brains like that in charge, it's no wonder our country is sliding down an abyss.

Jen

Athena's Armoury said...

Best of luck in the new year and, as always, awesome work!

storybeader said...

I think patterns will sell big on Etsy, since there's so many crafty people there. Never thought of running a show - good luck with them. And thanks for participating in the carnival!

The Fab Miss B said...

Your work is so pretty! I can't wait to see more goodies in your shop!

sewitsforyou said...

thanks ladies. Same wishes to you Janine. The patterns are coming Storybeader....and the Fab Miss B I am working on it!!!