Monday, June 29, 2009

My friend Adrien

I met Adrien a couple years ago at a show I was doing in St. Pete. She runs this fabulous show called Atomic Holiday Bazaar, which I was lucky enough to be a part of last year. We have become friends over the years and I asked her these questions recently based on my interview with kittykill.


1. How did you get into embroidery and how long have you been doing it?
My aunt is an amazing embroidery artist and gave me my first needle and floss kit which was a chipmunk when I was about 8. I didn't get serious about learning difficult stitches until my early 20s prior to that, I was just sewing things my way which made for some really cool pieces but beading that wouldn't hold because I wasn't using the correct thread, etc. It's good to really do it right the first time, duh!

2. Tell me a little bit about yourself.
I'm sunny to partly cloudy.

3. Tell me about your indie business
Tuff Betty Bags began in '99 in L.A., I don't produce as much as I had in the past due to my other indie biz stuff, Vintage Stew on Etsy, Atomic Holiday Bazaar my crazy craft show in December, Raging Retro, stylized retro photography (I don't take the pics) so I'm pretty busy year round with my hands in a bit of everything.


4. Any advice for the masses
Trademark your business name...very important. The potential to lose your rights to your business name after you have established a good following is a true reality that can bite you in the behind. You can easily trademark your biz name on line and it is worth every penny to do so.


5. What is your website/blog
www.tuffbettybags.com
www.tuffbettybags.etsy.com
www.myspace.com/tuffbettybags
www.atomicholidaybazaar.com
www.myspace.com/atomicholidaybazaar
www.vintagestew.etsy.com
http://vintagestew.blogspot.com/
www.ragingretro.com

6. What is your favorite piece of yours?
Really too many to mention. Here are most of my bags on a Flickr slideshow, 1999 - to 2009

7. Who/What are some inspirations for you
Aubrey Beardsley, Edward Gorey, Arts and Craft Movement, Art Nouveau, nature, music and vintage clothing.

No comments: