Thursday, June 18, 2009

My friend Kittykill (AKA Pam)

This is a little interview I conducted with my good friend Kittykill. I met her on Craftster oh about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago. She is the moderator for needlework and I have learned so much from her. I am also lucky enough to have a few pieces made by her and her craftsmanship and attention to detail is not to be believed. We became fast friends and although we have never met in person I feel like I have known her my entire lifetime! I am so excited to have you all meet her!





1. How did you get into embroidery and how long have you been doing it?



I saw an ad for Sublime Stitching in Bust magazine and decided that I wanted to try it. I bought some patterns and began stitching. I had done some needlepoint and crosstitch up till then but really fell in love with embroidery. It was like I found a home,something I could do well and have an excuse to watch movies while doing it.I also discovered Craftster and my life has never been the same. I've met so many amazing talented people. I've been embroidering for about 5-6 years.





2. Tell me a little bit about yourself.....


I just turned 39, live in Portland Oregon with my husband Mark and our two Jack Russells Lola and Jujube. When I'm not stitching. I work for a women's domestic violence/sexual assault crisis line and help moderate Craftster.org. I love anything vintage from 1890-1950's, scary movies, kitschy stuff. We have a Tiki bar in our house and my hubby can make a mean drink. I treat my dogs like chilren and I'm sure it embarrasses my husband to death. I'm also a contributing writer on FeelingStitchy.com and I just started the Scrappy Dog Society. I love embroidering vintage patterns, it makes me smile to think 40 to 50 years from now my work will inspire someone when they see it at an estate sale or a thrift store. I love the way embroidery tells the history of our cultures. You can see the world evolving (or de-evolving) through stitches.





3. Tell me about your indie business


I have a shop on Etsy.com. 3 Jack Design. I sell jewelry, embroidery and vintage clothing/housewares. I also have a joint venture with an awesome friend selling patterns. We are still trying to come up with a name but the patterns seem to be doing quite well.





4. Any advice for the masses?


Don't listen to negative criticism! Do what you want to do and you will be happy. I don't embroider the conventional way but it always turns out the way I want it to. Also, practice, practice, practice. My first pieces were a little shaky but I kept up with it and really like the work I turn out now. Also, BE NICE TO PEOPLE! You can certainly be sassy but the head you step on, on your way to the top, is the ass you will have to kiss on the way back down to the bottom. Meet people in your community, encourage others to share their talent and their voices.





5. What is your website/blog?




6. What is your favorite piece of yours?
(I have added some of kittykill's favorite pieces throughout the interview as well as here)
This pillow above was made for me by Kittykill from a Shag print and I <3 it.



7. Who/What are some inspirations for you?


My family inspires me. Music and movies inspire me. People in the crafting community like Jenny Hart, lovely little deer, anyakase, kunderwood, Lilyvanilli, Brook, flossbox, sew sew a go-go, fiberartsy. Pin up artist, bad "B" horror movies, vintage embroidery patterns and pieces. And of course-you!


If you want to read my interview on her blog check it out here
>

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Yay! Kittykill is so awesome. And wicked talented!! :):)

sewitsforyou said...

I know isn't she Kristi!